Share/Save my site

Share/Bookmark

Friday, September 4, 2009

Nelly Furtado | Vanity Fair Magazine (2000)



Nelly Furtado
Occupation: Singer, songwriter, musician
Age: 21
Provenance: Victoria and Toronto, Canada
Big Break: After being pursued by several labels, she signed with DreamWorks Records. "I guess it was a magical demo tape; everybody seemed to be feeling it"
Frame of Reference: Portuguese parentage, musical family. "I knew from age four that I wanted to perfrom. I learned to play trombone and ukulele at 9 and keyboards at 11."
Inspirations: Portuguese music, Sade, Portishead, Bob Marley. "I grew up listening to all kinds of music, but hip hop taught me how to sing with attitude."
What does her much-anticipated debut album (Whoa, Nelly!, out next month) sound like? Trip-hop meets bossa nova.
Is this the morning of her overnight success? "I've been preparing for this for a long time. The standards I set for myself are really high, but I'm such an optimist, I believe that we're going to come up with something great. Music is the only thing I can do without thinking."
By Lisa Robinson
Photography by Stephane Sednaoui

0 Comments:

Twitter Facebook Digg Favorites More